Friday, May 28, 2010

New TLD for my blog

I've busy rebuilding my server today. At the same time I decided to rearrange my domains. My blog used to be available through the samael.eu domain but I've decided to use samael.me.uk as it makes more sense to have information about myself on this type of TLD (Top Level Domain).

The process of reinstalling Wordpress and importing my old posts was not without complications. Due to the machines rebuild the directory structure is different from what it used to be. On top of this was the fact that I was changing the domain and a few other settings from what was used previously.

In order to get the blog working I downloaded the most recent version of Wordpress and did a fresh install. I had an SQL dump of the old database and a backup of the old files. The 'wp-content' folder needed copied over from its backup location as well.

At first I tried to use the entire database of the old blog but even after I had edited all the fields I could find relating to the old directory path and domain the site would not load. I reverted back to the database setup of the fresh installation and carefully populated the fields within the new MySQL tables. For the most part wp_options did not require many changes but most of the others could be cleared and then have the old entries inserted into them.

The final task was to edit some of the old posts that kinked to images. Wordpress uses the full URL path when linking to content within the wp-content folder so the domain needed to be changed to the new one. There may still be a few small issues left to iron out so please contact me if you find something that does not work correctly.

No comments: